One of the greatest strengths of illustration is its ability to take something incredibly complicated and show it to you in a way that is simultaneously accurate and understandable; this is especially true with technical illustration, also called technical drawing. With this style, it becomes easy to not only faithfully show the important details, but to emphasize and communicate them.
Sometimes a product or system needs to be complex due to its very nature, and the task of explaining these sorts of products can often feel overwhelming. This is the perfect opportunity to use technical illustration, as it is tailor made for showing products clearly. Even the simplest of products can benefit from this style by giving it an air of sophistication.
This style may be right for you if:
- You need to clearly explain a complex product or subject to a nontechnical audience
- You need to make internal features of a product visible with a cutaway view
- You need highly detailed illustrations tailored to meet multiple needs
It is well-suited for use in:
- Product manuals and training manuals
- Medical and scientific magazines
- Animation and interactive illustration